When is the last time you reflected on your dental hygiene? Even if you’ve never had a cavity or experienced any problems in your mouth, good dental hygiene takes a lifetime of diligence and commitment. Take our quiz to see how you’re doing with your dental hygiene.
- How often do you brush your teeth?
- I try to remember to brush every day but sometimes forget. (1 point)
- Once a day. (2 points)
- At least twice a day. (3 points)
- How long do you brush your teeth each time?
- 30 seconds or less. (1 point)
- For at least one minute. (2 points)
- Two minutes. (3 points)
- Which sentence best describes you when it comes to flossing?
- I hate flossing and don’t even own dental floss. (1 point)
- I only floss when I notice something is stuck in my teeth. (2 points)
- I try to floss every day. (3 points)
- How often do you visit your dentist for a routine checkup and dental cleaning?
- I don’t visit the dentist unless I have a problem. (1 point)
- Once a year. (2 points)
- Twice a year. (3 points)
- Which sentence best describes your eating and drinking habits?
- I eat candy and drink sugary soda nearly every day. (1 point)
- I may not eat sweets every day, but I do drink Coke and coffee every day. (2 points)
- I generally eat healthy, limit my sugar intake, and drink plenty of water. (3 points)
BONUS: Give yourself an extra point for each statement that is true for you:
- I rinse with mouthwash 3-5 times a week. (1 point)
- Every time I brush my teeth I also gently brush my tongue to get rid of plaque and bad breath. (1 point)
- No matter what kind of toothpaste I use, I always make sure it has fluoride in it. (1 point)
Now that you’ve taken the quiz, count up your points and see how you scored!
15-18 points: Keep up the good work!
If you scored 15-18 points, congratulations, you have excellent dental hygiene! Not only do you know the importance of brushing, flossing, and visiting your dentist, but you are going the extra mile by avoiding sugary food and drinks and making sure your teeth get enamel-strengthening fluoride every day.
8-14 points: Room for improvement.
If you scored 8-14 points, you are probably in the habit of brushing every day, but maybe you forget to floss until you notice something is in your teeth. Perhaps you brush and floss, but you have put off seeing your dentist for a checkup. Whatever it is that’s holding you back in your oral health, it is important to remember that there is always room for improvement, and you are well on your way. Start small, whether that means cutting back on one sugary drink a day or at first simply finding the time to floss once a week.
0-7 points: Dental hygiene needs immediate improvement.
If you scored 0-7 points, your dental hygiene needs immediate improvement. But don’t despair! It is never too late to improve your oral health. The first step is to immediately begin practicing a regular morning and evening routine of brushing your teeth for two minutes each time using a fluoride toothpaste. Set a reminder on your phone to help you remember. After you’ve done this for a couple of weeks, add in flossing after you brush at night. Even though it may feel like a lot of work at first, just like all habits and routines, eventually you won’t even think about it. Once you’ve gotten into a good brushing and flossing routine for a couple of weeks, hopefully you will have the confidence you need to make an appointment with your dentist for a checkup and cleaning. Go ahead and schedule two visits for the year and you are well on your way to excellent dental hygiene.
No matter what score you got on this quiz, at Cornerstone Family Dentistry we would love to help you maintain or improve your oral health, so please make an appointment with us today!